Sunday, September 15, 2013

Choose Kind

Grades 3-5 at Rue have been reading the book Wonder by R.J. Palacio. In the book, August (Auggie) has been prevented from going to school because of his "facial anomalies" and the complications that come with the 27 surgeries to correct them. Auggie's first experience at school is 5th grade at Beecher Prep. Being the the new kid is hard enough, but Auggie has to also convince the kids that he is a kid just like them.
Picture
Watch the book trailer here:

The book is filled with many great messages. One of them is, "When given the choice between being right and being kind, choose kind." I have seen many examples of my students choosing kind. One day when a student's fancy pencil went missing, another student offered to replace it. After school one day, I witnessed a student from another class prepare to make fun of another student and my student gave her "the look" and shook her head "no"(Although it is easy to type now, at the time I had to hold back tears.). I have also seen many examples of inclusion in the classroom when students have ensured that no one is left out of a group and helpfulness towards others. I hope you know what great kids you have! I am very proud of them!

No comments:

Post a Comment